- Super Lawyers Magazine Rising Star 2013 – 2018
- Current Vice President (for Montgomery County) of the Montgomery-Radford Bar Association
- Former law clerk at Court of Appeals of Virginia to Judge William G. Petty
- Current adjunct professor of law at Liberty University School of Law teaching Intellectual Property
- Spotlight: WSLS10 News – The Importance of Trademarks
Andrew P. Connors
Andrew P. Connors is a Virginia intellectual property lawyer and business attorney. As a Managing Partner at Connors & Brenke, he focuses his practice on business law, intellectual property law, contracts, civil litigation, and appeals.
As a litigator, he has represented clients in all state trial courts in Virginia, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia, including the full Court of Appeals sitting en banc, and the Supreme Court of Virginia. He has handled cases involving all kinds of intellectual property matters, including trademark, trade secret, patent, and copyright suits or potential suits. His business counseling practice focuses on business formation, intellectual property protection, intellectual property licensing, and contract drafting, including technology-related contract and licensing agreements. As a former software developer and business consultant on government contracts, Mr. Connors understands the particular needs of technology-related businesses.
From 2013-2018, Super Lawyers magazine has named attorney Andrew Connors a Rising Star in Virginia for Business Litigation and Appeals. In 2017, Mr. Connors was also named by Virginia Business Magazine as one of its "Legal Elite" for Intellectual Property.
- Perfect 10.0 “Superb” rating on AVVO
- Experienced civil litigator representing clients in IP, business, contract, and other civil disputes
- Has briefed and argued multiple cases before Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Virginia
- Former member of Liberty University Law Review Editorial Board
Experience & Licenses
CASE RESULTS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY CONNORS & BRENKE.
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
J.D., Liberty University School of Law, 2010
- Managing Editor of Student Works, Liberty University Law Review, 2009-2010
- Best Advocate, 4th Place, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Washington, D.C. Region, 2010
- Finalist, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Washington, D.C. Region
- Champion & Best Brief, Liberty Law 2L/3L Moot Court Tournament (the “Liberty Cup”), 2009
- Moot Court Board, 2008-2010
- CALI Award winner for top grade in Environmental Law, 2010
- Founder & President of Intellectual Property and Technology Law Society, 2009-2010
- Vice President, Federalist Society Student Chapter, 2008-2009
B.S., Applied Mathematics, University of Virginia (School of Engineering and Applied Science), 2005
Business and Intellectual Property Experience
- Regularly counsels business and individuals on intellectual property protection
- Regularly drafts copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property licensing and transfer agreements
- Has drafted, reviewed, and negotiated commercial leases
- Regularly reviews, negotiates and drafts other contracts for business and individuals
- Has formed many business entities and drafted corporate governance documents, including corporate bylaws and operating agreements for limited liability companies
- Has assisted businesses with compliance with government regulations
- Has counseled retail, restaurants, and other brick-and-mortar establishments concerning government compliance and general legal liability issues
- Has counseled start ups and established technology companies on legal issues
- Has drafted end user license agreements, privacy policies, and Digital Millennium Copyright policies for video games, websites, and other computer software
- Has performed numerous patent searches and assisted licensed patent attorneys with patent prosecution
- JTM Consulting, LLC et al. v. Fiba Tech Industries, Inc., No. 7:2017-cv-00210 (W.D.Va., Pending)
Represent plaintiff in federal declaratory judgment action raising issues of trademark validity, trademark infringement, and trademark dilution.
- Unimex Corp. v. Mendelson’s LLC, et al., No. CL00107895-00 (Loudoun Cnty. Cir. Ct., Pending)
Represent plaintiff in sale of goods transaction alleging breach of contract and fraud.
- Broadcast Music, Inc., et al. v. TSK Investments, LLC et al., No. 7:16-cv-00529-GEC (W.Va., Closed)
Defense of business establishment accused of copyright infringement for alleged unauthorized performance of popular music.
- Garner v. Rising Tide Media Group, LLC, No. 7:16-cv-00583-GEC (W.D.Va., closed Apr. 4, 2017)
Represented plaintiff in federal suit alleging copyright infringement of photograph included in mailer allegedly produced by defendant.
- Garner v. The Printing Express, Inc., No. 7:16-cv-00387 (W.D.Va., closed Mar. 13, 2017)
Represented plaintiff in federal suit alleging copyright infringement of photograph included in mass produced mailer.
- Garner v. The Republican Party of Virginia, Inc., No. 7:15-cv-00410 (W.D.Va., closed April 13, 2016)
Represented plaintiff in federal suit alleging copyright infringement of photograph included in mass produced mailer. Included substantial briefing on fair use and publication under United States Copyright Act.
- Garner v. Higgins, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 16761, 7:14-cv-00461-GEC (W.D.Va. Feb. 11, 2015)
Represented plaintiff in copyright infringement of photograph by blogger in online opinion article. Prevailed in written opinion on Defendant’s motion for summary judgment based on fair use.
- Automation Creations, Inc. v. 8 Rivers Capital, LLC et al., No. 7:14-cv-00063 (W.D.Va., closed May 19, 2014)
Represented Plaintiff in suit removed to federal court alleging claims for breach of contract of software development contract.
- Kepa, Inc. v. Va. Dept. of Health, 62 Va. App. 614, 751 S.E.2d. 671 (2013) (en banc), rev’d by 289 Va. 131, 766 S.E.2d 884 (2015)
Represented hookah lounge in challenge to Virginia Indoor Clean Air Act as applied to it. Obtained rare en banc review by Court of Appeals of Virginia and won en banc. Subsequently reversed on further appeal by attorney general to Supreme Court of Virginia.
- “Intellectual Property: Planning and Litigation,” A CLE presentation at Liberty University School of Law, 2017 (2 sessions)
- “Intellectual Property and Business Planning in Practice,” presented to Liberty Law Business Planning class, 2017
- “Case Management Software, On the Go: Web-Based Solutions,” a CLE presentation for Virginia Trial Lawyers Association’s Building A Successful Law Firm seminar, 2016
- “Business Contracts A-Z,” a CLE presentation for National Business Institute in Roanoke, Virginia, 2016
- “First Amendment Protections for Sharing and Exercising Your Christian Faith,” presented to Northstar Church: Saturday Seminary class, 2016
- “Public Safety & Government,” presented to the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce Leadership New River Valley Class, 2016
- “Intellectual Property and Business Planning in Practice,” presented to Liberty Law Business Planning class, 2016
- “Understanding the Justice System and Due Process,” presented to Dublin Middle School Civics class, 2016
- “Intellectual Property and Business Planning in Practice,” presented to Liberty Law Business Planning class, 2015
- “Trademark and Copyright Law,” a workshop with the Virginia Tech Entrepreneur Club, 2015
- “Remarks on Starting a Business,” given at Virginia Tech Entrepreneur Club 1000 Pitches Awards Ceremony, 2015
- “Real World Law,” presented to Liberty Law Legal Research & Writing class, 2014
- “Intellectual Property and Business Planning in Practice,” presented to Liberty Law Business Planning class, 2014
- “Making Your Case to the Court of Appeals of Virginia,” a CLE presentation given to the Montgomery-Radford Bar Association 20th Annual Family Law Seminar, 2013
- “Real World Law,” presented to Liberty Law Legal Research & Writing class, 2013
- “Copyright and Trademark Issues in Film,” presented to Liberty University Business of Filmmaking class, 2013
- “Making Your Criminal Case to the Court of Appeals of Virginia,” a CLE presentation given at Liberty University School of Law, 2012
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013-2018
- Virginia Business Magazine “Legal Elite” for Intellectual Property, 2017
- Vice President (Montgomery), Montgomery-Radford Bar Association, 2016
- Law Clerk to William G. Petty, Court of Appeals of Virginia, 2010-2012
- Managing Editor of Student Works, Liberty University Law Review, 2009-2010
- Best Advocate, 4th Place, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Washington D.C. Region, 2010
- Champion & Best Brief, Liberty University School of Law 2L/3L Moot Court Tournament (the “Liberty Cup”), 2009
Publications & Articles
- Understanding Intellectual Property: A Guide for Artists, Liberty University Law Review, Vol. 7, No. 3 (2012).
- Dissecting Electronic Arts’ Spore: An Analysis of the Illicit Transfer of Copyright Ownership of User-Generated Content in Computer Software, Liberty University Law Review, Vol. 4, p. 205 (2010).
The news articles below quote or mention Andrew P. Connors assessing the law or as legal representation in a court case.
- “Sign of change: Christiansburg mayor moves to amend use of town seal,” Roanoke Times, September 3, 2017
- “ACLU of Virginia files brief on Redskins trademark rights case citing First Amendment,” Sinclair Broadcasting Group (includes several local ABC/CBS/Fox affiliates), November 6, 2015
- “Virginia Tech Revamps Policy on Student Inventions,” Roanoke Times, June 10, 2015
- “Virginia Tech Entrepreneurism is Encouraged, but Comes with Some Caveats,” Roanoke Times, May 9, 2015
- “Va. Supreme Court: Blacksburg’s She-Sha hookah lounge not exempt from smoking ban,” Roanoke Times, January 8, 2015
- “Hookah bars allowed to keep on smoking, court rules,” Roanoke Times, December 18, 2013
- “Blacksburg hookah bar granted another hearing,” Roanoke Times, May 7, 2013
- “Hookah lounge gets second chance to dodge smoking ban,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, May 7, 2013
- Offers pro bono legal services to Christian nonprofit organizations, including Northstar Church in Blacksburg, Virginia
- Helps lead annual presentation about the legal system, which includes a mock trial, to local business leaders in the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce Leadership program, in association with the Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney and local court system
- Has spoken multiple times to law students and secondary school students about respect for the legal system
- Member of Northstar Church in Blacksburg, Virginia and volunteers on various committees within the church